Thursday, March 3, 2011

Reckless Praise

I'm not much of a blogger. This should be interesting, ha...

My recent reading has all the makings of a juicy, dramatic, titillating story...the half-naked king dancing around in front of the civilians; the bitter wife scolding him with her hands on her hips; the sparkling, golden Ark of the Covenant said to house the very presence of God Himself. I love this story...

So here we are: King David and 30,000 of his men are finally bringing the Ark of the Covenent HOME to Jerusalem. This thing would blow Macy's Thanksgiving parade out of the water! I'm picturing balloons, loud music, dancing, singing and what not. The whole city is partying!

"Wearing a linen ephod, David was dancing before the LORD with all his might...As the ark of the LORD was entering the City of David, Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD, she despised him in her heart."How wonderfully the king has distinguished himself today—exposing himself to the eyes of the servants' maids like some burlesque street dancer!" David replied to Michal, "In God's presence I'll dance all I want...Oh yes, I'll dance to God's glory—more recklessly even than this. And as far as I'm concerned...I'll gladly look like a fool..."

I always get such amusement picturing David dancing in his underwear as if nobody is watching. I imagine David was giddy with excitement because the very presence of God was going to be in Jerusalem again. Finally.

There just is nothing comparable to the presence of God in my life. No relationship, nothing materialistic, literally nothing is comparable to feeling Jesus. I love Psalm 84:10, "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked."

I can relate to this. I've had a nice house. I've had a husband. I've had exciting plans for my future. I've had everything I've ever needed - at least I thought I did. But, nothing can compare to the sweet, sweet friendship of the Savior. Because when I've experienced unhindered fellowship with Him, I haven't needed for anything.

It hasn't been an easy road, but HE'S been there. And I won't look back.

2 comments:

  1. Most Excellent! He does love us extravagantly!!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. JLee, I love this. And I love you! I love that you can deem wisdom from your experiences and use it to draw closer to Him!

    ReplyDelete